Know The Early Signs Of Glaucoma With Your
Florence, SC Eye Doctor
There are several million people across the country with glaucoma, but less than half of them are aware of it. While there is not a current cure for glaucoma, it can be managed, but it's imperative to catch in the early stages. Harrington Vision in Florence, SC, is a dedicated team of optometry professionals who are dedicated to preserving your vision. We want to share some early warning signs of this eye disease.
Glaucoma is a progressive condition that affects that optic nerve, which can lead to vision loss. There are various types of glaucoma, and some have symptoms and others barely any at all. Should you experience any early warning signs, it is important to immediately schedule an appointment with Harrington Vision.
What Are Signs Of Glaucoma?
A self-assessment can be one of the most powerful tools when deciding to call our office. Ask yourself the following questions:
- Am I experiencing rapid vision loss? Although vision changes are expected as we age, sudden loss of vision is not normal. Call us if you are experiencing this condition.
- Does my peripheral vision seem affected? Often, this is one of the early indicators of glaucoma.
- Can I see halos? It is common to have increased sensitivity to light or see halos around edges of lights.
- What do my eyes look like and feel like? You may feel discomfort in the eye or redness.
- Do I feel nauseous? You may feel some nausea or possible vomiting. If these symptoms are paired with eye discomfort, you may have glaucoma.
- Do I have "tunnel vision"? If you are viewing the world as if you are looking through a tunnel, it is time to see our doctor.
Importance Of Comprehensive Eye Exams
In addition to a vision screening, a comprehensive eye exam allows our eye doctors to check for severe eye conditions like glaucoma, macular degeneration, cataracts, and more. It is common to believe that good visual acuity means excellent eye health, but this is not always the case. It is much easier to treat and manage glaucoma when you might not even have any noticeable symptoms yet. If you are over the age of 40, you owe it to yourself to get checked regularly.
Call Harrington Vision To Get Tested For Glaucoma And Receive Treatment
If you are searching for a trusted eye doctor, Harrington Vision in Florence, SC, can help you. While glaucoma is a concerning condition, especially for the older population, we are here to ensure it does not rob you of enjoying life to the fullest. Make an appointment with us today.